|Head of Department:||Mrs N Lam|
|Qualification:||Level 2 Vocational Award in Sport and Coaching Principles|
Programme of study
- The qualification is centred around sports coaching and focuses on:
- Improving your own and others performance
- How to assess needs and identify actions plans to develop physical fitness for sport or health
- How to coach different groups with different needs
During the course you will:
- Develop knowledge and understanding of the factors that underpin physical activity and sport
- Use this knowledge to improve performance
- Understand how the physiological state can affect performance in physical activity and sport
- Understand the contribution which physical activity and sport make to health, fitness and well-being
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the skills and techniques needed for successful coaching
- Demonstrate how to plan, organise and communicate effectively
- Demonstrate creativity and innovation
How is the course structured & assessed?
The course is run over two years and content is broken down into units. Each unit is worth a specific amount of points and to successfully complete the course, students must complete each unit to the required minimum standard. Students must complete the selected three units in order to achieve the required amount of points. The content of the course is delivered practically where possible, but there will also be a significant number of theory based lessons.
The course is assessed in 3 units:
Unit 1:Improving Sporting Performance (coursework 30%)
Unit 2: Fitness for Sport (Online Exam 90 mins – 90 Marks 40%)
Unit 3: Coaching Principles (coursework tasks 30%)
You will be given a points score for each unit and these scores will be totalled and the final grade awarded ranging from Level 1 pass through to distinction*.
What can these qualifications lead to?
Students will be encouraged to support the St Mary’s extra-curricular programme, in order to develop their coaching experience. There will also be after school support available for coursework completion.
Additional resources will be posted on the google classroom in addition to the use of the everlearner programme, where students will be issued with an individual login where they can personalise their revision according to the individual gaps in their learning .