I am writing to inform you of our brand new and exciting music provision that we are launching this academic year. We have embarked on a new creative partnership with Edsential, who will be providing our instrumental tuition here at SMCC. Our aim is to work in partnership with Edsential to create a vibrant culture of music making. Tuition will be available on the following instruments:
- WOODWIND (flute, clarinet, oboe, saxophone, bassoon)
- BRASS (trumpet, cornet, euphonium, tuba, french horn, trombone etc…)
- GUITAR (electric, bass, acoustic)
- STRINGS (violin, viola, cello, double bass)
- PERCUSSION (drum kit, orchestral percussion)
- PIANO and VOICE
Students will receive a 20-minute lesson on their chosen instrument each week, with the lessons taking place during the school day. The tuition will take place on a rotation system to avoid students missing the same lesson each time. The cost of lessons has been heavily subsidised by the school and will cost £30 per half term (£5 per lesson). We also have some instruments that are available to loan from school, if your chosen instrument is unavailable to loan, Edsential also offer an instrument hire scheme that costs £24 per term.
In addition to the lessons taking place in school time, our students will also have free access to the Wirral Schools’ Music Ensembles that take place during evenings and weekends. More details of these groups can be found at www.edsential.com.
Music is an extremely important part of school life at SMCC and our music students have many opportunities to play in concerts, musical productions and take part in learning outside of the classroom. Learning to play a musical instrument also has many proven benefits, such as;
- improving hand eye coordination & fine motor skills,
- improving maths, reading and comprehension skills,
- encouraging responsibility, perseverance and discipline,
- encouraging self-expression and building self-confidence.
If you would like your child to have the opportunity to learn to play a musical instrument at SMCC, please complete the attached Google Form by Friday 12th November to express your interest.
Mrs L Smith
Director of Music